Sunday, May 8, 2011

Judge Me, Judge Me Not

I may or may not have mentioned before my dislike for Mother's Day.  The rest of the year, I generally wallow in all of my self-inflicted guilt-due-to-daughter-mistakes/mother-mistakes-I've-made on alternating days.  

Mother's Day is different however, because I take the complete inventory all in one day.  "Mother's not herself today" generally comes to mind on Mother's Day.


Therefore, I wanted to maybe post something really snarky up for today.  

And then I got on Facebook.  


You see, the thing is, my girls are required to tell me Happy Mother's Day and that they love me.  It's a law.  I'm not saying they don't mean it.  I know they do.  But still....it's the law.


But when I got on Facebook today, I found my own, personal little Happy Mother's Day note from one of the kiddo's friends who's 1,000 miles away.  And that reminded me of other notes and messages that I receive now and again from some of the kiddo's other friends and also from the Married Kiddo's friends.

And I have to say, it makes me feel seriously loved.  Seriously.  Loved.


And truly blessed to not only have sweet daughters and a sweet grand-daughter, but they are smart enough to pick such sweet friends as well.  And that they let me love their friends.


So, Happy Mother's Day to me after all.  Whether I liked it or not.

4 comments:

cheryl said...

I hope you had a wonderful day! You are an amazing mom and example to me. I hope to me a mom and GG just like you! Can you please message me your address. Ben goes to Ireland this week and I need it so he can send you postcards from your secret admirer there. :)

Kelly said...

I have to say, when I saw that on facebook, I did think, "seriously, how did I end up with such nice friends?" I really, honestly think she is THE sweetest person on the face of the planet. period. Plus, I don't think you really made any mistakes as a mom.Plus, I think if you have any guilt as a parent, it just means you're a good parent, because you care. Also, I mean, really, I already have guilt about 'raising' kids that aren't even mine.....With that whole "mothering instinct" they talk about, they leave out the bit about extreme guilt, don't they? I think they do it on purpose.
Love you. Can't wait to see you soon!
Love, Louise Clairee
(I'll let you be Thelma :))

Tim O'Keefe said...

Sorry that I didn't get to you yesterday. Although I am sort of like a voyeur into your life, it is crystal clear to me that you are a mom who cares deeply for your family. I'm guessing you always have and, I don't think I'm going out on a limb there, you probably always will. Your family knows it too.

So Happy Day - a little late.

mCat said...

Happy be-lated Mother's Day and sometimes it's the notes and calls from the friends of our offspring that mean so much! : )