Monday, August 26, 2013

Civic Duty

Because I wanted to document last week's fun for future reference, I present the following:

(For those of you on Facebook, I apologize for the re-peat)

Things I learned/noticed/observed this week while on Jury Duty:

1) People with Attention Deficit should not be there;
2) Dear Mr. Attorney: Just because a statement is presented 147 different ways, it is still the same statement. I got it the 1st time. Or at least by the 2nd time;
3) When Judge Duke says to be back by 1:30, he definitely means 1:30;
4) I already knew that about Judge Duke. I've been on jury duty before. I was back by 1:10;
5) Drive very carefully. People are just looking for an excuse to sue somebody (seriously, pay attention to your driving - not to your cell phone people);
6) Take Life Savers and a bottle of water with you;
7) Out of 35,000 people in this county eligible for Jury Duty, I can pretty much guarantee I'll be called;
Civil Court can take longer than Criminal Court;
9) The excitement level of being a bailiff has to be right up there with the sign turners on road construction;
10) People with Attention Deficit should not be there.


and:


Addendum to the Things-I-Learned/Noticed/Observed-While-On-Jury-Duty-This-Week List:

(Please feel free to move on if you're over the Jury Duty posts. I realize there has been an over abundance the last couple of days but there were just a few more observations that could not be left unsaid)

1) Just because the state of North Carolina has issued you a driver's license and/or voter's registration, thereby putting your name in the Possible-Jury-Duty pool, does not necessarily mean you should be even 1/12th responsible for someone else's fate;

2) If you seriously want to avoid Jury Duty, become a state trooper. Nobody picks a state trooper to be on their jury;

3) If you think Judge Duke is asleep, think again;

4) There are alot of good sammich-making places downtown that I never knew about. Which brings me to #5;

5) Dear Really-Really-Really Full Figured Girl: Did you miss the memo on the back side of your Jury Summons entitled "Dress Code - Do not wear short shorts"? I am not faulting you for your size. I know myself how good food tastes, as is evidenced by my own full figure. However, if, when you look in the mirror, you think that there is even the remotest possibility that your picture could appear on peopleofwalmart.com, change your outfit. This includes the gold metallic sandals that have straps halfway up your full figured legs;

6) Lock up your wives and your
husbands and your children;

7) The Jury Room should be automatically equipped with Cadbury chocolate and Diet Dr. Peppers;

No matter what kind of trial I am sitting in on, all I can think of is Atticus Finch and Mayella Ewell;

9) Attention Deficit people should not be there. They get distracted way too easily and end up making too many observation lists on Facebook.


No comments: