Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Harold and the Purple Crayon

If you read this blog a few weeks back, you will have read a Happy Birthday post to my brother.  (The one who took the rubber band out of my pony tail on the school bus, remember?)  And I mentioned in that post that he can do amazing things with his colors.  And his name is Harold.


Hence, the "Harold and the Purple Crayon" references all the time.


Smart of me to forgive him for taking that rubber band out of my pony tail when I was 6 years old.


Because,  yesterday, I got this in the mail:



I'm really having a hard time coming up with the right words to describe how I feel every time I look at it.


Mostly, it soothes my soul.  And it gives me a measure of peace I've dearly needed lately just by looking at it.


And it takes me home.  Home is a good place to be.


He named this painting "Different Needs".


And as with all of his paintings, there is a story that goes with it:

"The story for this painting was seeded years ago.  Shortly before moving on my property I decided to clean up this field of weeds across the road.  After the purchase of a five hundered dollar John Deere, I talked my Daddy into letting me borrow his bush-hawg and the deed was done.  I was proud of the results and was willing to bet my neighbors would feel the same.

"While in a conversation with my neighbor a short time ago, I brought up the subject of how happy I was after cleaning my field for the first time.  It was shocking to me to hear my neighbor wasn't happy at all...but upset, for I had destroyed a field of flowers...Queen Ann's lace.  I am sure I was forgiven 'cause every time we pass, there is always a big wave and a CHRISTMAS gift every year.

"In this world we all have different needs, Some will view flowers...
While others can only see weeds."


I love my gift.

4 comments:

Tim O'Keefe said...

Stunning. I couldn't imagine a nicer gift. To know that every brush stroke, every little dab of color was meant for you to enjoy... breathtaking. This is a treasure, an heirloom.

Em said...

Beautiful Painting! There is something so peaceful about it! Brothers are so awesome! Enjoy looking at it daily!! =0)

Ryan and Heather Moss said...

Thanks for posting the story behind it. Couldn't wait to hear it.

mCat said...

That is a beautiful painting, and I love the story behind it even more. Such a true observation. Some of us see weeds whereas others see beautiful flowers.