Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Good News Is.....

No frozen pipes.

Do what? you ask.

Let me just first say that anyone who tells you it doesn't ever get cold south of the Mason Dixon line is a big fat liar.  Maybe not as cold as Minnesota (google: "New In Town" movie), or as cold as Rexburg, Idaho (land of "The Wind Never, Ever, Stops Blowing, Kimosabe"), but it still gets cold enough for this to happen, should you so desire:




(Yea, yea, I know Christmas is over, but I think Peer Pressure can happen as well in January as in December).

Anyway, back to the post.  

I grew up outside of town, not the full fledged country, but enough outside-of-town that we had well water and pipes that would freeze up every winter at some point.  That, and we'd lose electricity because of ice on the power lines.


I particularly remember one "Big Snow/Big Ice Storm" that we got when my aunt lived in a mobile home out beside our house.  

The details are fuzzy by now, and I don't remember how long we were all in the house, together, in the house, without electricity, without water, in the house, together.  

Understand?  

In the house, together, in the house, without electricity, without water, in the house, together.  

It was the sort of occasion that brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "Families Can Be Together Forever".


Anyway, my brother, whom I really love alot (now that we're grown) was captain of the "What Can I Do to Aggravate the Mess Out of My Sisters?" team at that time (note: he was also captain of the "If You Mess with my Sister I'll Knock You Out" team).  

Actually, I loved him alot then, too - he just really knew how to pick at a person and aggravate the mess out of the girls in the family.  Which is what he did to my aunt - literally  - he aggravated the mess out of her.   Actually, I think he challenged her to a contest which shall remain nameless (hint: it was of the teenage boy variety - the kind they take great pride in, well past the teenage years), that she should have known from the beginning she couldn't win (him being a teenage boy and all, thus excelling at this type thing).



I won't go into all the sordid details, but suffice it to say, the end result was that she was outside getting as much snow and ice as she could, to bring in and melt (we had a gas stove), so she could take some sort of a bath.


It was wrong, but it WAS funny.  And she would kill me for posting this.



Point being, it has been cold around here lately, but at least the pipes aren't frozen.

2 comments:

Tim O'Keefe said...

I know what you mean. Cold is cold - and it's all relative. People from Chicagoland, where I grew up, think I'm a sissy, but I'd like to see them driving in traffic with a mess of people who don't have any experience with it. I'm glad you're blogging again. Stay warm.

mCat said...

So now, I had to come check out your site and blurk around a bit.

Loving it! Gonna hang out for a while if that's okay..