Thursday, December 2, 2010

December 2nd

Kiss Me, I'm ..............Jewish?


A few years ago, when my girls were in high school, we would have early morning seminary at home because I knew they'd never make it all the way to church in town every morning before school.  Therefore, I was their seminary teacher.  At home.  Every school morning.  At 6:30.  (and can I just say, one of my children is not a morning person, never has been, never will be).


The year we studied Old Testament, they were both in high school/seminary at the same time.  When it got close to Christmas, we would plug in the Christmas tree lights every morning while we were having seminary. It was cozy, it was beautiful.  It was so.......Christmasy.


The year of Old Testament, however, their minds turned to Hanukkah, even though it technically has nothing to do with the Old Testament.  Every morning, they would look at their presents under the tree and look some more, until the lure of a-present-a-day Hanukkah got to be more than they could stand.  Finally, that last week of school/seminary before Christmas vacation, they wore me down and they became Jewish for 5 minutes a day.  

Opening a present a day was such a huge hit, that by the time Friday rolled around, we had latkes and applesauce for breakfast (have you ever had those things?  they're ding dang good).


Of course, by the time Christmas rolled around. there was precious little left under the tree for them.  Another good seminary lesson in choice and accountability.


Happy Hanukkah today - go open yourself a present.

3 comments:

Tim O'Keefe said...

What a cool memory. You are so close to your kids. What a blessing for you all.

Kara said...

So I take it this is not a tradition that stuck? :)

mCat said...

I want to be Irish on St Patrick's day.
Mexican on Cinco De Mayo,
Jewish for Hanukkah
and african american for Kwanzaa.

Really, I'm just a holiday whore actually.