Monday, April 11, 2011

TtT, RtR #5: Bum

Bum


He's a little dog, with a stubby tail, and a moth-eaten coat of tan,
And his legs are short, of the wabbly sort;
I doubt if they ever ran;
And he howls at night, while in broad daylight he sleeps like a bloomin' log,
And he likes the food of the gutter breed; he's a most irregular dog.


I call him Bum, and in total sum he's all that his name implies,
For he's just a tramp with a highway stamp that culture cannot disguise;
And his friends, I've found, in the streets abound, be they urchins or dogs or men;
Yet he sticks to me with a fiendish glee.  It is truly beyond my ken.


I talk to him when I'm lonesome-like, and i'm sure that he understands
When he looks at me so attentively and gently licks my hands;
Then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say nought thereat,
For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that!


by W. Dayton Wedgefarth




3 comments:

Kelly said...

okay, this totally made me tear up a little bit; i still miss my dog. i'd almost forgotten how cute she was! i like how heather has on two different socks in that last picture. that was a good dog. probably one of the best. did i ever wear shoes as a kid? i don't think i've ever seen a picture where i was wearing shoes...things do change, don't they?

Tim O'Keefe said...

When I saw this I wondered if these were your two original Love Potions. These pictures are incredibly cute. I'll bet they bring back powerful memories. Every age and every stage are so wonderful, aren't they. We just have to keep reminding ourselves that THESE ARE THE GOOD OLD DAYS.

I love the poem too. It will be our language appreciation today. At about 8:20 there will be 22 second graders reading this together and commenting on the craft.

As always, thanks.

Ryan and Heather Moss said...

I take it that I was dressing myself. Two different socks.

Okay, Jonathan is sooooo Kelly (as if I didn't think so already).