Monday, January 14, 2013

You Gone Eat Yo' Conebraid?

Last night I posted on Facebook "how thankful I was that I had wise parents, who taught me the value of things....Like cornbread and buttermilk."

That collected several "Likes" and comments.

It was a proud moment to realize I have friends who can appreciate the finer things of life.

So, by request, here are not one, but TWO, cornbread recipes, just for you Cheryl:

The 1st one is from my brother, with 2 variations:

1 Cup Joe Trapp's corn meal
1 cup plain flour
4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup sweet milk
1/4 cup oil

Now, 2 FYIs here.

First of all, I'm figuring (Cheryl) you can't get Joe Trapp's corn meal out in Utah.  So until I can send you some, you'll just have to use whatever kind you can get your hands on.

2nd of all, sweet milk is what we call the kind of milk you put on your corn flakes - in other words, milk that ain't buttermilk.

Oh, and the corn meal is plain (as in not self-rising).

The variation on this recipe is:

1 1/2 cups Joe Trapp's corn meal
1/2 cup plain flour
4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup sweet milk
1/4 cup oil

Put you some Crisco in your cast iron frying pan, and put it in the oven to melt, while the oven is warming up to 425 degrees.

After it gets hot, you can sprinkle a little corn meal in the bottom before you pour the batter in to get it crispyfied.

A cast  iron frying pan is a must.  A Lodge cast iron frying pan.

Now my mama has made it like the following:

2 big handfuls of TendaBake corn meal mix (plus an extra little dip)
1 big handful of self-rising flour
A tiny pinch of soda

In another bowl mix up:
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup oil

Add that to the dry stuff.

It should be the consistency of pancake batter.

If you need a little more liquid, add a little water.

Pour it into a hot greased frying pan that you've sprinkled a little corn meal into.

Bake at 400 to 425 about 15-20 minutes.


Cheryl, the right way to eat cornbread is to crumble it up in a bowl (or a glass, or a cup) and pour buttermilk over it and eat it.

It don't get no gooder than that.


1 comment:

cheryl said...

I feel so special AND lucky. I truly can't wait to try this. Your mama's way of making it sounds just how I usually end up doing my recipes. I would never have thought to crumble it up and pour buttermilk over the top. That sounds so good but is a little cruel to tease a pregnant lady like that because it's too late to go to the store and make it tonight!