I have also stated in the past that I love poetry books. Now, poetry to me (and I know I'm asking for it from all the English teachers out there) consists of WORDS THAT RHYME and LINES THAT HAVE RHYTHM. I'm sorry but "We stomp roaches and grease our legs" just doesn't get it for me. Like it or lump it, that's how I feel.
However, I was pretty distressed to see this notice regarding poetry on the MSN-Newsweek today. I mean, who doesn't like Shel Silverstein? (Just don't tell me if you don't - I don't want to know)
I was glad to learn that April is National Poetry Month. So guess what. If March brought the almost-daily "green" posts, then April is going to bring the almost-daily "poetry" posts.
So, get ready.
BATTY
by Shel Silverstein
The baby bat
Screamed out in fright,
"Turn on the dark,
I'm afraid of the light."







2 comments:
What a cute poem and post! If you don't like senseless poems then you wouldn't like Joel's most recent haiku post! We find them funny simply because most don't make sense! haha
great idea, gloria. although, as a former english teacher, i will have to disagree on your definition of poetry. :) however, i am a fan of shel silverstein!
Post a Comment