skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Can I Say, "You Really Are Kidding Me, Right?"
Friday at work.
The phone rings.
I pick it up and answer it.
Me: "Good Afternoon, ********* ********** Company."
Other person: "Could I speak with ***** ******?" (the president of our company who happens to work in our office)
Me: "I'm sorry, he's working outside of the office today."
Other Person: "Is there another number where I can reach him?" (They're getting pretty bold lately)
Me: "And who's calling, please?"
Other Person: "This is Casey Something-or-other with 'Mumble, Mumble, Mumble' Consulting Firm. Could I have another number where I can reach *********?" (He's really insistent on me giving him another number, plus he calls Mr. President-of-our-company by his first name, like they're old time friends, and this kid sounds like maybe he's skipping out on Social Studies class anyway)
Me: "I'm sorry, you are a consultant for him?"
Other Person: "Yes this is Casey Something-or-other with 'Mumble, Mumble, Mumble' Consulting Firm. Could I have another number where I can reach *****?" (first name again, really starting to get on my nerves)
Me: "I tell you what, spell your name and give me your number and I will give it to Mr. ****."
Other Person: "Okay, my number is 1-800-whatever-whatever and my name is Casey Something-or-other with the Wine Consulting Firm."
Me: "Excuse me, did you say Wine - as in W-I-N-E wine?"
Other Person: "Yes, we would like to help him with his wine choices."
Me: "Wine choices? Wine, W-I-N-E wine?" (The pitch of my voice was fast approaching the only-dogs-could-hear-it-level)
Casey: "Yes, we would............."
Me: "I tell you what, I'll just be SURE and give him this 1-800 number."
Click
So, is it me or is there a problem here?
Here is Mr. President-of-our-company dealing with major issues of running said company that spreads out over several states and he's supposed to stop in the middle of his business day and talk over the virtues of red vs. white?????? (I only know that wine comes in colors because I saw on the laundry box how to remove red wine stains. And because Welch's grape juice comes in red and white. Same thing. The grape juice just hasn't been sitting in a barrel as long).
And "Casey" thinks I'm going to hand over Mr. President-of-our-Company's cell phone number so he can track him down about this red vs. white "dilema"? What's next? The Fruit of the Month Club like on Everybody Loves Raymond?
Believe me when I say this has nothing to do with the fact that I do not drink wine or anything else of the alcoholic variety, but it has EVERYTHING to do with getting on my nerves when I'm trying to work here, people.
I mean, this may come as a shock, but we ARE trying to run a business between the hours of 8 and 5. And so far, we've managed to do it without the red or the white.
Sorry, Casey, but you struck out.
(And 5:00 came none too soon on Friday.)
3 comments:
ahaha that's classic. made me laugh
And all this time I thought businesses could ONLY run with the red or white? haha
Hilarious story! We get some crazy calls at my work too. The kind where you accidentally (not really) say afterwards out loud so your co-wokers can hear, "wow seriously?"
Oh, the things I say when I hang up the phone. Give me strength.
Post a Comment