Thursday, May 27, 2010

Springfield, continued

Before leaving downtown Springfield for the day, we walked up to the state capitol building.  FYI, it's a longer walk than what it appears when you're looking at it from the main attraction sites.

We were in there only long enough to break out in the "Even the Good Ones are Bad on a Field Trip" hives again (see previous post).  The dome was beautiful though.  I spent my time showing an older gentleman some settings on his new Canon point and shoot he bought right before he came to town.  He really was sweet.  Right up to the time his wife came and demanded that he get away from me.  As the kiddo said in her comment on the last post, I was just making friends everywhere I went.  Of course, I WAS a born and bred South Carolina girl in the middle of Lincoln-land.



Saving the Abraham Lincoln museum for the next day, we pointed Mr. Garmin toward Route 66 Shea's Gas Station Museum before going back to the motel.  It may have been fine once we got inside, but when drove through the neighborhood and got to it, we were a little less than enthusiastic about parking and getting out of the car.  So we re-programmed Mr. Garmin for the Camp Butler National Cemetery.  Much smaller than Arlington, but reverent and thoughtful just the same.

3 comments:

Tim O'Keefe said...

Majestic. Powerful. The shot of the dome is gorgeous. The cemetery is simultaneously beautiful and heartbreaking.

mCat said...

That dome is amazing!

Annelise said...

I love the first shot of kelly with lincoln!
the dome picture is stunning!