Sunday, August 29, 2010

My Big Screen Weekend

It has been forever since I went to the big screen.  (Well, there was that girlie-girl "Letters to Juliet" movie: the scenery - beautiful.......the plot - not so much).

Anyway, I've hit 2 this weekend.

"Inception" last night.

"Get Low" today.

Inception:

First of all, we got there late and missed the first few minutes.

This was not a movie you could afford to miss any of.  I wanted popcorn some kind of bad, but didn't dare leave the movie to get any.  I would have missed too much.  5 minutes would have been too much (1 minute would have been too much.)  Fortunately, the kiddo had already seen it once, so she filled me in on what I had missed to begin with.  This was a great "play with your mind" kind of movie.  I really enjoyed it.

But today, ah, yes.

Today, I went to see my man Robert Duvall -  "Get Low".

Now I've not seen every movie Robert Duvall has ever played in.  I don't have a clue how many he has made. 

So I'm sure the odds are pretty good that there are some Robert Duvall movies that I wouldn't like. ( I mean really - I like Matt Damon, but not even Matt Damon could save "All the Pretty Horses")

However, the ones I have seen - I've loved.  Starting with his being Boo Radley in To Kill a Mockingbird.

I'm pretty sure, however, that when he set out to film "Get Low", my name came up, as in - "Why don't we do this just for the Mamafamilias, because this is her kinda movie in every way."  (Well, except for some of the cussin' - I don't take kindly to using the Lord's name in vain)

Because I loved this movie, I'm sure there's a scathing critic review out there somewhere.  'Cause it seems that the "experts" (and I use that term loosely) - aka "Critics", don't exhibit the same taste I have in movies (Example no. 1 - The Legend of Bagger Vance.  Critics bashed it - I loved it, one of my all time favorites).

 Anyway, just a couple of comments about the movie itself.  Don't want to say too much in case you're planning to go see it.

Besides Robert Duvall, there's Lucas Black and Bill Murray as the funeral home owners and Sissy Spacek as a connection from his past.  The ONLY way it could have been any better was if Tommy Lee Jones had been in this movie somewhere.

It had funny lines in it, but it was nowhere close to a comedy.  Mostly, this movie squeezed my heart from the very beginning.  And when it squeezed on my heart, the results came out through my eyeballs.  Not in a lost-all-of-my-emotional-control kind of way, but it made my eyes water for sure. 

Because early on you see:  loneliness...... burdens that people carry and the effects of it......... regret......... guilt...... greed............ basic nature of man.......... the heartbreaking way people judge other people............and finally, more loneliness. 

Sounds depressing, I know, but this was a good, good movie to me.  Good lines in it.  Good Lucas Black character.

If you're a Robert Duvall fan, this is a must-see.

2 comments:

mCat said...

You've sealed the deal for me. I was swaying on Get Low. The local critics love it, and I like me some Robert Duvall myself.

Tim O'Keefe said...

I saw Inception. People either liked it or hated it. Me... I loved it. It is something I need to see again - on DVD. I enjoy a movie that challenges me to think deeply. Can't wait to see Get Low. Thanks for the reviews.