Dear Teacher:
How are you? I'm very glad to meet you.
Can I ask you a favor?
I know that you have children of every variety this year - just like you do every year.
There are the loud ones. You know - the ones that act up and get in trouble just to get attention.
There are the ones who are just naturally outgoing and get attention easily. Everybody likes 'em.
There are the ones who have all the self-confidence in the world. Popularity, good grades and athletic ability come easy to 'em.
There are the ones who are just plain obnoxious for who knows what reason - they get all the love and attention possible at home and they're still obnoxious (yes, as a matter of fact, I did used to drive a school bus with a student like that on it).
Here's where the favor comes in. Can you write yourself a note to let the other ones who are left know how important they are? You know - the quiet, shy ones. The ones who do what they're supposed to do, when they're supposed to do it. The ones who follow the rules.
Can you make sure they know they're loved and appreciated, too?
I know what a hard job you have - if you're the kind of teacher who wants to do it right. I know you can't take 'em all to raise. And the aforementioned loud/popular/obnoxious ones tend to demand all of your time and attention.
But here's the thing.
You have them for most of their waking hours for the next forever-many-months. And you have absolutely no idea how much power you have relating to their self-esteem, or lack thereof. No idea.
I know you can't make the world all sunshine and roses for them. Nobody can.
But how about, if you would, let the little quiet ones - the ones who quietly keep to the main road - how about you let them know that you notice THEM too, for the good that they do and for the person that they are.
Just because they don't demand your notice, doesn't mean they don't need it. They have their struggles, too. And when you truly show that you care (none of this fake, put-on stuff), well, they take it to heart. Re-affirms their Individual Worth, so to speak.
Thanks
Here We Are
2 days ago







3 comments:
Right on. Your post is a must read for all teachers this time of year, before we get into the day-to-day routine, get caught up in the record keeping and paper work, before we start getting behind and have to rush into the progress report season. This makes perfect sense to me and I will share it with my teacher friends.
Splendid.
Thanks!
If you get a chance, read this little post from my good friend Chris. It is sweet.
Tim
http://harperanddad.blogspot.com/2010/08/for-ty.html
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I have one of those shy, quiet kids, who goes about her work but never makes a sound. She's scared to death to be in that classroom and I just pray she is getting the attention she needs. Thanks for making this ever-important point!
BTW...still laughing about your bus-driver comment. :)
Post a Comment