I noticed, when I moved to North Carolina 20 years ago, that anytime I mentioned the fact that I sure would love to have some hash and rice, everybody around me would sort of shuffle away very slowly, hoping I wouldn't notice. I finally figured out that was the "I don't want to be close by when they come to arrest you" dance.
Problem being, of course, they had never been introduced to the fine delicacy of South Carolina hash and rice, and were therefore more than a little concerned over the term "hash".
I'll tell you right off, I love North Carolina barbeque. And when I heard that the chicken-cooker at B's BBQ had "passed" a couple of years ago, I panicked. I can honestly say, though, that he taught someone well, because that chicken still almost makes me want to cry.


But I miss hash and rice.
Therefore, when the planned Labor Day trip was made down to the Promised Land, it was decided there would be an official "hash cooking" ceremony. The 89-year old mama was instructed NOT to do anything before any of us got there, we would take care of it. Yeah, right. This is the same 89-year-old mama that moved a filing cabinet out of the "party barn" by herself.

(Just so ya know, she's going to kill me for putting up this picture. Posting her picture is a sin 2nd only to not wearing pantyhose to church.)
The meat was cooked, we added the rest, and here's the result. If you want to have a heart attack, here's the best way I know to plan one.

(Yes I did go to B's and haul some chicken down to my mama)



(Nobody, and I mean nobody, cooks butterbeans and okra as good as my mama)

(The object of our affection is in the top left-hand corner of this plate.)
Say what else you will, but don't say "Thank you, but no" until you've tried it.

A fine meal should be followed by fine entertainment, right?


Next time Michael's has a box of 15 light sticks for a dollar, do yourself a favor and go get a couple of boxes, then go out on the porch with some younguns and a camera when it gets dark.

Life is real good sometimes.







3 comments:
All I can say is YuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmO! I have fond memories of days past when me and my cousins would visit our Granny and she would cook us big ol suppers with lots of those yummy things. Everything she made was always so good and I haven't ever been able to do it! I wish she would have written her recipes down but sadly for me she just knew how to do everything by memory and didn't even measure! Those were the good ol days as they say.
I can see why you labeled this "great moments". Your photographs are so good I can almost taste it. Thanks
Good thing you already have the 1st sin taken care of-& passed it on to another generation.
Yeah, hash is something that you shouldn't knock until you try-at least I've repented of THAT sin...
now the question is who's was better?
And yes, Grandma would definitely kill you if she knew you had that picture of her up.
Post a Comment