Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Are You Ready? Yes, I'm Ready. ..... Well, Um, Not Really

After the very effective Attention Getter my ward had on Sunday, (brought to us by our local friendly Bishopric - at least it was effective for about 5 minutes, until we all figured out it was a test - it was only a test),  I have been checking off my own Emergency Preparedness, How Long Will You Last items and here's what I can check off:

1) Air freshener - When the stench of flood water fills the air (as well it did in 1999), I can pretty much freshen up the whole county.  I'm well stocked on air freshener- too bad we can't eat it, wash with it, or use it to stop the flow of blood coming from that gash on the arm/leg;

2) Hair color - thanks to the sale at Rite Aid and my coupons, I'll be looking good while I'm starving;

3) Razors - I have 5 gazillion razors packed away and considering the fact that 1 razor can last me for 2 years now (rarely have to shave my legs any more), we're pretty set around here.  (Of course, I guess I could use those razors for the chin hairs I get now);

4) Cricut cartridges - I have enough Cricut cartridges (needed by all Primary Music Leaders), that I can scrapbook the whole experience;

5) DVDs - Hopefully, we can keep the generator going long enough to power the DVD player to keep us from getting into fist fights from all of that togetherness, off of each other's nerves;

6) Books - Hurricanes don't seem to hit us in the wintertime, so I won't have to burn my books to keep warm;

7) Fabric - I saw a bumper sticker once: "Whoever Dies With The Most Fabric Wins" - that would be moi;

8) Rice - see, I DO have food on my list.  Thanks to Harris Teeter, coupons and Uncle Ben - I have enough rice to open my own Japanese restaurant.

On the other hand, I seem to be lacking in:

1) Water;

2) Food;

3) Red nail polish



Hmmm


All joking aside, I appreciate a good Bishop/Bishopric who take their callings seriously and want us all to be prepared for any emergency.   And considering that eastern North Carolina seems to put out the "Pick Me, Pick Me" sign for major hurricanes at this time of year, I'm getting my mess a little more together this weekend.

1 comment:

mCat said...

Red nail polish? Really? Must add that to my emergency prep kit.

Actually, I thnk I am only going to stock cigarettes, booze and tampons. I figure I will be able to barter for anything when necessary.