I know what you're going to say.
"She was born and raised in South Carolina. Of course Robert E. Lee is her hero."
But it's not what you think. Okay, maybe part of it is. I always will be the Southern girl. And proud of it.
I always accepted him as the standard for Southern men to be judged by. Then, a few years ago, I purchased what has become one of my favorite books - "The Moral Compass", which is a companion book to "The Book of Virtues", both of which are a collection of stories, poems, etc. put together by William J. Bennett. I highly, highly recommend both of these books.
One of the entries in this book is an excerpt from a letter written by Robert E. Lee to his son, Custis Lee, who was in school at the time. I will share part of this letter in a minute. When I read that letter, years ago, I knew I had found a hero.
Part of this letter is also quoted in a book that I just finished reading and loved - "Robert E. Lee on Leadership, Executive Lessons in Character, Courage and Vision" by H. W. Crocker III.
I loved this book. I loved getting to know more about the man Robert E. Lee: who he was, what he believed in, and what he stood for. He was a truly good, honorable, humble person, and truly did his best to follow the example of Christ. Yes, he was a military leader, but yes, he was a devoted follower of Christ, by deed and example. He did not favor secession. But he believed it was his duty to stand with his native Virginia. "'With all my devotion to the Union,' Lee wrote, 'and the feeling of loyalty and duty as an American citizen, I have not been able to make up my mind to raise my hand against my relatives, my children, my home.'" This was his duty.
He wrote the following letter to his son, Custis Lee, when he was at West Point (only part of the letter is below). I'm quoting from both of the books mentioned above:
"You must study to be frank with the world: frankness is the child of honesty and courage. Say just what you mean to do on every occasion, and take it for granted that you mean to do right. If a friend asks a favour, you should grant it, if reasonable; if not, tell him plainly why you cannot: you will wrong him and yourself by equivocation of any kind. Never do a wrong thing to make a friend or keep one; the man who requires you to do so is dearly purchased at a sacrifice. Deal kindly, but firmly, with all your classmates; you will find it the policy which wears best. Above all, do not appear to others what you are not. If you have any fault to find with any one, tell him, not others, of what you complain; there is no more dangerous experiment than that of undertaking to be one thing before a man's face and another behind his back. We should live so as to say and do nothing to the injury of any one. It is not only the best as a matter of principle, but it is the path to peace and honour....Duty, then is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things...You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."
I would love to find Robert E. Lee on my family tree.
Here We Are
2 days ago








1 comment:
Great post - I am embarrassed to admit, that I don't know much about the man, but this has enlightened me.
Post a Comment