Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Must've Been a Holiday

Because it was time for another pot of hash.

'Cause that's how we do things around here.

Hash and rice for the 4th of July.  The only problem is, that here in North Carolina, people tend to want to call the law when they hear we've made hash and rice for the big 4th of July supper.

It's so sad that they don't know.

I married a North Carolina boy almost 30 years ago and I'm happy to say, he's a hash and rice junkie now, too.

Never say never until you've tried it.

The Hash:


The Rice:


The Wanna-be Tomatoes:


The Wanna-be Butterbeans:
(Frozen lima beans from Sam's was the best I could do)


Followed by homemade strawberry ice cream.

All of this came at the end of a nice Sunday 4th of July - which began at church when I got to cut loose with the Star Spangled Banner on the organ.  I mashed every stop I could find on that organ and our congregation evermore cut loose singing it.  It was great.

Did I mention my bag I took to church that I made the night before (this is for my mama - she's the original bag-lady and I'm the acorn that fell off of that particular tree - the rest of y'all can move on if you want to):


And did I also mention, I couldn't get in the bed fast enough by Sunday night.  The only fireworks I saw were painted on the backs of my eyelids.

A great day off on Monday though. 

And reality today.

I love the 4th of July.

2 comments:

Tim O'Keefe said...

Yum. I love the way you show your affection toward those you love.

mCat said...

We too cut loose on the Star Spangled Banner in church and I had goosebumps!

I know one should never say never, but I am really not so sure about the hash.