Anyway, so they had their own brick kiln. I can't remember the recipe for making bricks. But I do remember that it was a beige/brownish color. The iron oxide in the clay is what would turn the brick the reddish color after it was fired in the kiln. Before they were put in the kiln, however, (but after they were shaped into bricks), they had to go through the "hacking" process. This was simply that they were put out to let the water drip out of them. They would be laid out one way - water drips out, then turned to let more water drip out. Click here for an interesting lesson in brick making.
And click here for a picture (obviously not taken by me because I ain't climbin' no tree for a picture) of the little brick kiln building in Nauvoo.
My most prized possession that I brought back from the trip was this:
I hafta say though, the whole time I was in the Brick Kiln, all I could think about was Ernest T. Bass.
'Cause in one of the later (color) episodes, Andy had had it with his rock-throwing and got onto him big time about not throwing any more rocks.
As soon as Andy goes around the corner, though, Ernest T. Bass reaches in his little tote sack and says, "He didn't say nothin' bout no bricks"










3 comments:
First thanks so much for your comment. I enjoy our virtual relationship. A lot. You are kind. Who would have thought?
I love reading about your adventures and what you learned about your faith and... heritage? One of my former students did an "expert project" on this special place. He taught us (our class) a lot about being Mormon. I felt privileged. You are such a learner. I always look forward to reading your thoughts. I'm sure you must have lots of recent things spooled up to write about. Peace
The brick kiln is a cool place, isn't it?!
By the way, I died laughing when I read that part at the end about ernest t bass. For some reason, I kept thinking of him too! ah good show!
I love the brick kiln too!!
Post a Comment