Please indulge me while I post a few pictures of the temple. I loved it, to say the least.
After we left Nauvoo, we drove to Carthage, where (for anyone reading who doesn't know the history and events), the Prophet Joseph Smith and his brother Hyrum, had been taken, jailed and killed by a mob.
A little story about the room you'll see below:
When they were taken to the jail, they were put in the "dungeon", which was on the 2nd floor of the jail. The jailer and his family actually lived in the jail and were very thoughtful and kind people; feeling, I believe, that the men who had been brought to his jail were innocent of any wrongdoing. Because it was so stifling hot in the dungeon (no windows and it was the end of June), the jailer moved them all into the bedroom on the same floor, which is the picture you will see below. As my daughter reminded me, this bedroom was the jailer's personal bedroom and it was the best room in the building. That's the room they were in when the mob stormed the jail and killed Joseph and Hyrum. The jailer was not connected to the mob in any way, as his wife and children were home when the mobs came and he would never have left them there alone in a situation like that.
John Taylor was in the jail with them at the time. In Section 135 of our Doctrine and Covenants, he wrote:
"To seal the testimony of this book and the Book of Mormon, we announce the martyrdom of Joseph Smith the Prophet, and Hyrum Smith the Patriarch. They were shot in Carthage jail, on the 27th of June, 1844,.............He (Joseph) lived great, and he died great in the eyes of God and his people; and like most of the Lord's annointed in ancient times, has sealed his mission and his works with his own blood; and so has his brother Hyrum. In life they were not divided, and in death they were not separated!"
The first 8 songs my daughter has added to her blog for her June 12th post are very beautiful. Even if you've already looked at hers, I strongly recommend going back and looking at it again (click here). Her pictures are beautiful and the music fits perfectly.
It was one of the highlights of my life to share this experience with her. I will always, always treasure it.


















1 comment:
This is one of the few places that I DISTINCTLY remember from our trip back east.
There is a spirit there that I had never felt before. Hallowed ground. And the pics of the temple are beautiful!
Post a Comment