When we went into the following home, the lady there asked us where we were from. "North Carolina" we answer, "Where are you from?"
"A little town in southern Utah. Nobody ever really knows where it is," she answers.
"Really," I say. But just for fun, "What little town in southern Utah is it?"
"Hatch" she answers.
Well get this, not only have I heard of Hatch, Utah, I've spent the night there. And not only that, her husband went to school with my late brother-in-law's aunt, way back in the day. And that's whose home I had spent the night in. Therefore, her husband remembered and knew my late brother-in-law and all of his family.
Can you believe it? It was so great.
I made a REAL friend that time.
This was the home (I think this may have been a replica, not the real thing) of a "pharmacist/school teacher".
He mixed herbs, etc. for healing purposes. However, (and I hope I'm remembering this correctly), he was not paid for this. So in order to make a living and take care of his family, he taught school. Parents would pay him to teach their children and he used the "Hooked on Phonics" method of teaching:











3 comments:
That is incredible. What a small and wonderful world! I am LOVING all your Nauvoo posts. Thanks so much for sharing and taking the time to do them.
Of course you heard of Hatch. Of course you had people in common. Thanks for posting all of this. What a blessing.
Wow - what a small world!
The pics are so nice
Post a Comment