Just for kicks - see how many of these books/poems/writings you can name (fyi - these are from the kiddo - I read books like Bless Your Heart, Tramp and We're Just Like You, Only Prettier):
1) "It seems, then," said Tirian, smiling himself, "that the stable seen from within and the stable seen from without are two different places."
"Yes," said the Lord Digory, "its inside is bigger than its outside."
"Yes," said Queen Lucy. "In our world too, a stable once had something inside it that was bigger than our whole world.."
2) "In fair Verona/where we lay our scene/ where civil blood makes civil hands unclean..."
3) "One Christmas eve, many years ago, I lay quietly in my bed. I did not rustle the sheets. I breathed slowly and silently. I was listening for a sound - a sound a friend told me I'd never hear - the ringing bells of Santa's sleigh."
4) "The Opera Ghost really existed."
5) "The mole had been working very hard all the morning, spring cleaning his little home."
6) "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife."
7) "Business!" cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, forbearance, and benevolence were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but a drop in the comprehensive ocean of my business!"
8) "Listen my children and you shall hear..."
9) "O Captain! My Captain! Our fearful trip is done..."
10) "Once there was a tree...and she loved a little boy."
11) "The wind was a torrent of darkness/among the gusty trees/the moon was a ghostly galleon/tossed upon cloudy sea/the road was a ribbon of moonlight/over the purple moor."
12) "'It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known."
13) "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity..."
14) This, above all, to thine own self be true,/And it must follow, as the night the day,/Thou canst not then be false to any man."
15) "There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it."
16) "The remainder of my schooldays were no more auspicious than the first. Indeed, they were an endless Project that slowly evolved into a Unit, in which miles of construction paper and wax crayon were expended by the State of Alabama in its well-meaning but fruitless efforts to teach me Group Dynamics."
"Nobody knew what form of intimidation Mr. Radley employed to keep Boo out of sight, but Jem figured that Mr. Radley kept him chanied to the bed most of the time. Atticus said no, it wasn't that sort of thing, that there were other ways of making people into ghosts."
17) When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one People to dissolve the Political bands, which have connected them with another, and to assume, among the Powers of Earth, the separate and equal Station to which the Laws of Nature and Nature's God entitle them, a decent Respect to the Opinions of Mankind requires that they should declare the Causes which impel them to the Separation."
18) "It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us - that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measures of devotion - that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain; that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom; and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."
19) "Beware the Ides of March."
20) "Three hundred and forty-eight years, six months and nineteen days ago today, the Parisians were awakened by the sound of loud peals from all the bells within the triple precincts of the City, the University and the Town."
21) "He had discovered a great law of human action, without knowing it - namely, that in order to make a man or a boy covet a thing, it is only necessary to make the thing difficult to attain."
22) "One dollar and eighty-seven cents. And the next day would be Christmas."
23) "I can resist everything except temptation."
So, would YOU have won a prize at Book Club the other night?????
Here We Are
2 days ago







3 comments:
What fun. I could positively ID about half. Others I was pretty sure I knew the author.
I was told all the answers this past Thursday, and I still got some wrong :(
Okay, I felt smart at half because of half of them. Of the remaining half, about half I knew I knew (at one time or other) but couldn't think of them, the others I had no idea. You're going to have to tell me.
Post a Comment