Sunday, September 12, 2010

What's in YOUR Parade?

Well, if you lived where I live, you find the most............interesting things in the nearby small town parade.  Of course, then again, I doubt they have a festival anywhere in Utah celebrating collards, anyway.

Please ignore the backwards hat.  This is not encouraged nor promoted.  We're hoping it's just so she could see better.


You have your Piggly Wiggly pig:


You have your chicken & pastry truck:


You have your 5 gazillion little go-cart cars/trucks that all the old men from within a 200-mile radius love to come drive. 

I feel sure their wives encourage them to go ahead and spend all of that money on these things. 

I mean, let's think about this a minute - every Saturday, there's a parade somewhere.  And there's time spent driving to the parade.  There's time spent in the parade.  There's time spent getting lunch with the other old men after the parade.  There's time spent driving back from the parade.  And while he's doing all of this, there's a wife somewhere with a whole Saturday, all to herself.

The love affair with these wheels starts early with the male species around here.  Love Potion #2 LOVED 'em.


You have your, ah, hillbillies.  I think they must've been visiting from the western part of the state:

Then again, the one with the beard does look like someone I've seen before - someone that I may or may not be related to:


You have LOTS of fire trucks - after all, this is eastern North Carolina, capital of the Volunteer Fire Department World, which is what the male species does here before moving on to the little go-cart cars/trucks:


You have old cars, you have new cars, you have cars for no reason (apparently, all you have to do is sign up and say "I want to be in the parade")

You have high school bands, you have Jr. ROTC, you have other various and sundry teams. 

It was definitely a small town, eastern North Carolina parade.  And it was great.

3 comments:

cheryl said...

How Fun! You crack me up.

Tim O'Keefe said...

Wonderful job capturing the flavor of the event. You have a way of putting us there with your pictures. My son's girlfriend was some Miss Thing and had to be in numerous local parade. You got the essence of it. Do you do photography for profit as well as pleasure?

mCat said...

Hillbillies and all - you look like you have better parades than we do here. In Utah - at least where I am, they have become one big water fight. Hate them now