If you're non-LDS(Mormon), this post probably won't make much sense, and I apologize for writing outside of your present understanding.
However, there are just some things I need to say "out loud" today, so here they are.
About 4-5 months after we moved here 21 years ago, a new stake presidency was called. I didn't really have any emotional feelings about it one way or the other because, well, I had just moved here...didn't know anybody anyway. So, new stake presidency.. okay, fine with me.
However, some time within the next 10 year time frame, I was called into Stake Primary, followed a couple or 3 years later by Stake YW.
Things changed then, let me tell you. Those emotional ties became stronger and stronger in a great big hurry.
Let me back up and say that any calling I have ever had in the church has brought with it at least one (and most of the time more than one) friendship that has stayed with me and blessed me, and has grown stronger and stronger through the years, long after the calling had passed. I've lived away from my family for most of my adult life (living away means I'm not close enough to go over to see my mama/brother(s)/sister on a Sunday afternoon and then go back home that evening). And I've missed being that close to home. I am, you know, a mama's girl.
On the other hand, the Lord has loved me enough to give me other people to love and be loved by in return. And, at the risk of repeating myself, what a blessing that has been.
My heart was squeezed severely today, as my stake presidency was released. Yes, these men (and their wives) deserve a rest - it has been 20-something years for 2 of them and 11 for 1. Their wives have had to raise children and get them to church all by themselves pretty much every Sunday all of these years. So they all deserve some time together finally.
But can I say, it was hard enough when I was released from stake callings and went back to the ward, knowing I wouldn't have that regular association with them any longer. It was doubly hard today, knowing that even the semi-regular association is now over as well. I mean, this ain't Utah. We can't stand on a street corner and see the adjoining stake across the street. Ours is a 2-hour drive from one end of the stake to the other. So it's not like I'll be running into them at the IGA on a regular basis.
Most especially, I will miss my stake president. When I was first called into a stake calling, it didn't take long at all for us to discover we were like 2 long lost first cousins who could get tickled at the same things way too easily. In church. But then, on the other hand, so many of his talks I have been fortunate enough to hear, have gone straight to my heart, and will always be with me there. He has made me laugh, he has made me cry, and I love him and his sweet, sweet wife more than they will ever know.
Always.
Here We Are
2 days ago







2 comments:
I'm real scared that I won't have a constituency no more!
Gloria- what a sweet post- I love you way down deep! We will always be knit together- I know that we have many more fun times ahead and I love how you make my husband laugh!!!
Thank you for your love, and your wit, and your kindness. We'll see you soon-
Post a Comment