Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sunday Appliances of Choice

That would be the crock pot and the bread machine.

Gotta love 'em.

I realize I grew up eating sauerkraut and I love it, but don't say no to it until you've tried it:

Brat Sauerkraut Supper

1 jar (32 oz) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
2 medium red potatoes, peeled and cut into thin slices
1 medium tart apple, peeled and cut into thick slices
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup apple juice
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tsp. chicken bouillon granules
1 tsp. caraway seeds
1 garlic clove, minced
1 bay leaf
1 pound fully cooked bratwurst links
6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled

In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients.  Top with bratwurst.  Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until potatoes are tender.  Discard bay leaf.  Sprinkle with bacon.

**Note:  I didn't do the bacon and I didn't have a bay leaf, but it was still pretty tasty.  I think it would be good with corned beef on top or any other type link sausage.  Yum.  The husband didn't grow up eating sauerkraut but he had 2 helpings.

Dessert was made in the crock pot as well.

3 comments:

Kara said...

I will be trying this shortly. Thanks! I LOVE A GOOD CROCK POT MEAL!

What did you have for dessert?

Tim O'Keefe said...

Ahhh, you're already planning ahead for St. Patrick's Day, aren't you? So, what was dessert.

Ryan and Heather Moss said...

How did Tim know I've been thinking back to last years St. Patty's Day food marathon. What was the one that was my favorite? I can't remember. Maybe I'm thinking about it too because every time I've been in the grocery store I've seriously considered corn beef. It just sounds way good.