Saturday, November 15, 2008

Analyze This

Personality tests are fun to me (however, the best thing for me to do is not to take them very seriously). So I was just thinking about what the following could possibly say about me.

1) First of all, I like a blue car. I've never owned a blue car, because when I've been ready to buy one, I bought what was on the lot and suited my need at the time (need = budget). However, if it was left totally up to what I wanted, I would always buy a blue car.

2) 2nd, my favorite ice cream is vanilla. I like other flavors, I eat other flavors, but if left to choose a favorite - it's vanilla every time.

3) 3rd, my favorite movies are the ones that a) make me laugh, and b) make me cry (Steel Magnolias being the one that does both). I like 007 movies, the Matt Damon ones that are like 007 (can't remember what you call them right now), romance movies (but not sappy, over the edge make me gag "romance" movies), but my favorites are laugh/cry movies - Steel Magnolias, Little Women (the one with Wynona Ryder). I also like feel good movies (The Legend of Bagger Vance - love that movie). However, if they put me over the edge and make me lose all self-control, never to get it back again (such as "The Elephant Man"), I refuse to ever watch them again.

4) Books - same as movies - laugh/cry. Cold Sassy Tree would be the one here that makes me laugh and cry. Lo, these many years ago when I was in about the 5th grade or so, I read a book titled They Loved to Laugh about a Quaker family who, imagine this, loved to laugh. As Quakers weren't supposed to indulge in that sort of thing, it made for a good book. Another one I read years ago that I liked was Papa Married a Mormon.

5) Little children are my favorite people, especially Nursery age to Kindergarten age. They love/dislike everbody equally. Neither emotion lasts longer than 3 seconds. They come up with the funniest things and they tell you like it is. You have to love them for that.

The Little Boy and the Old Man

Said the little boy, "Sometimes I drop my spoon."
Said the little old man, "I do that too."
The little boy whispered, "I wet my pants."
"I do that too," laughed the little old man.
Said the little boy,"I often cry."
The old man nodded, "So do I."
"But worst of all," said the boy, "it seems
Grown-ups don't pay attention to me."
And he felt the warmth of a wrinkled old hand.
"I know what you mean," said the little old man.

Shel Silverstein

Okay, so that's one that makes me cry.

6) I love to organize things - I've already posted that I love to make lists. My favorite thing to do at work is to make an Excel spreadsheet. You would think that because I love to organize things, my house would be clean. NOT. It's not nasty (most of the time), but Southern Living magazine won't be doing a feature here anytime soon. But nonethess, I love to get shelves and such from Lowe's/Dollar General, etc. and put things in certain places. My favorite place in my house right now is my laundry room. Thank you, Kelly, for planning to have the Singles Branch come to our house recently, even though that was changed. I now have an organized Laundry Room. I may post a picture of it. I found napkins from 5 years ago when Heather got married. I think it all goes back to when I was 17 years old. I worked as a cashier at the K-Mart - no Wal-Marts back then - and we had to put all the dollar bills facing the same direction in the cash register. I don't think I ever got over that.

7) Organizing spills over into the OCD side when it comes to my church callings.

8) My favorite prophets/apostles:
a) President Hinckley - he made me laugh, he made me cry, he made me want to be a better person. He reminded me of my daddy. I will always miss him;
b) President Monson - I've always loved his stories, poems and his way of making things personal. What really clenched it was when he read Sullivan Ballou's letter in conference a few years ago. I love this man;
c) President Eyring - he can't get through giving a talk without tearing up, I think we must be kin somewhere. I love his talk "Rise to Your Call"
d) Jeffrey R. Holland - he has a way of bringing me back to why I'm here and of making me think I'm really not by myself in this. I love his book Shepherds, Why This Jubilee, and his talks "The Other Prodigal" and "The Hands of the Fathers
e) Brigham Young, Dallin H. Oaks, Boyd K. Packer - They gave/give my favorite kind of talk - "Tell it like it really is - fire and brimstone, if you will." I love it.

8) And last of all - what does this realllllllllllly long post reveal? Analyze that.

2 comments:

The Robinson Family said...

I know what you mean about Excel spreadsheets. They are a must have. I am a little addicted.

Lauren said...

I love that video!!! So touching. Oh and I don't do excel spreadsheets but Joel is definitely addicted to them.