Okay, so I'm a hanger-on-er. In this particular case, it's fall, specifically Thanksgiving. Don't get me wrong, I love the Christmas season dearly. I love the stories, I love the music (can't get enough of the music Kelly and Ami have on their blogs), and I absolutely adore Christmas lights. I plug in a strand of those little white ones every night of the year. Just gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling.But I do love me some Thanksgiving (hence the Thanksgiving songs that should be playing on this blog right about now). I love the food (natch), I love the Thanksgiving story, I love the family stuff (well, most of the stuff, - subject to be addressed later under the topic of "Kelly - why aren't you married yet?" - her daddy and I and HER SISTER (and a few others) are the only ones who don't throw that at her), I love the smell (food cooking, wood burning at my house), I love the weather - be it sunny and cold, rainy and cold or what. We have been known to spend Thanksgiving at Myrtle Beach with my mama, brothers, sister and various and assundry spouses and fiances, nieces and nephews. Myrtle Beach hasn't recouperated from that yet.
And I ain't squawking about having 2 days off work that week either. Which brings me to the day after Thanksgiving. It's just a given that I have to be in town with all the other lunatics that morning. There's been many a time that I've gotten up, gone to town, come back home and gone back again, long before "the others" have even gotten out of the bed. Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus and she was standing in the line at Best Buy at 3:00 a.m. a couple of years ago to get you that computer you're having all this fun on. Not only was she there - she was LATE getting there by the "Best Buy Day After Thanksgiving" standards. The line was all the way around the parking lot by that time. I could feel their eyes on me as I got out of the truck and shuffled to my place at the back of the line. That's okay - my brother and I have this down to a system. Cell phones in hand, me at the Best Buy in Greenville, NC and him at the Best buy in Columbia, SC. What I can't find here, he picks up there. They only THINK they have it rough on Survivor. Sissies, wimps. I laugh in the face of cockroach-eating. I've been to the Best Buy on the day after Thanksgiving.
Anyway, no matter what or where - I love Thanksgiving.







3 comments:
This year I am going to tell everyone that I have joined a religious form of the college "exchange" program. I am joining a convent, but they have agreed to let me remain LDS (and where red high-heels), if I help with all the "do-gooder" stuff nuns are supposed to do. Maybe that'll shut 'em up...Yeah, well, hope springs eternal....
Excuse me, you & Daddy are the only ones that don't throw the "why aren't you married yet" thing at her? You can't include me on that? I don't even throw the "why aren't you dating anyone that breaths" at her (like the waiter at K&W Thanksgiving Day for example-for all those of us who were there to witness that. You have to love overly concerned grandmas). Sorry if I have incredibly high standards for my sister! Like anybody would ever pass the Ryan Moss approval anyway. What is there to worry about meeting the father's approval when there's a brother-in-law who never had any sisters until he got married!
I stand corrected!!! You are so right - I've gone back and edited that line. Thank you for being picky for your sister. So you picked up on the K&W thing, huh.
Post a Comment