Friday, November 21, 2008

That Was HOW LONG AGO?





So, one night this week, I was asked to play the piano at a sort of "Young Women in Excellence", except this was for the Primary girls instead of Young Women. And I'm looking at them, and listening to them and thinking about their accomplishments and how far ahead of what I was at their age and I'm having a hard time making myself believe that I'm really 53 years old. I remember one time when I was just a little younger than those girls. I was playing on the front porch at home and for some reason, I was stressing over the year 2000. I had it in my mind that terrible things would happen by the year 2000 and I couldn't stand to think about it. But then I did the math and realized that I would be 45 years old in the year 2000, so it wouldn't really matter if the world came to an end, because I would be so old that I would either a) be dead from old age, or b) be so old and decrepit (I'm too lazy to get up and get the dictionary to check that spelling) that I wouldn't know what was going on around me.

So, to prove that I'm as old as dirt, I've put these pictures in to show you what we did way back then. I thought I was the greatest thing ever with that green bandelo.


You know what though? I like what has come to me at 53 years old. I like to think I've gotten a little smarter over the years. That may be because I tend to forget so much now. Some things are just better left forgotten. But I do like to think I've learned a few things that have helped me and those around me out. I loved my children when they were young, but I love them just as much now. We have alot of fun. And the grandchildren - it just "don't get no better" than that.

Life's Book
No matter what else you are doing,
From cradle days through to the end,
You are writing your life's secret story,
Each night sees another page penned.
Each month ends a thirty-page chapter;
Each year the end of a part;
And never an act is misstated,
Nor even a wish of the heart.
Each morn when you wake, the book opens,
Revealing a page clean and white;
What thoughts and what words and what doings
Will cover its surface by night!
God leaves that to you - you the writer -
And never one word will grow dim
Until someday you write the word "finish"
And give back your life's book to Him.
Author Unknown

1 comment:

The Robinson Family said...

I love your craft projects! And you are not as old as dirt you are a young chick!!