Monday, November 3, 2008

The Re-Enactment


As Kelly has shown on her blog, we went to the Fort Branch Battle Re-Enactment this weekend. We had never been to one before and we had a great time so we're just sharing a few pictures. Kelly really does have some great ones.


When we first got there, we didn't want to just rush on into someone's camp (see Kelly's blog - "Lady in the Camp" episode), so we were kind of hanging back a little and one of the guys told us to come on in, they wouldn't bite. Well, seeing as they appeared to be part of the Yankee camp, I thought I'd better let them know up front that I was from South Carolina. One of the guys told me he was too, he was just on that side this weekend to help them out a little, but he assured me that once on the battlefield as a Yankee, he "died real quick".


The camp was full of grown up boys. They got to play at shooting, go without bathing and smoke cigars all weekend long.

Anyway, we had a large time. I think my favorite part, though, was in the heat of the battle, one of the dead men had to sit up and get his hat and put it over his face because the sun was in his eyes.

It was great.


2 comments:

Annelise said...

that sounds interesting. I wish I could've gone with you.

Kelly said...

I love the tent/coat one. Go figure, it isn't sissy to play "dress up" as long as you get to "die" in the process. (Or yell, "This is for my brother!!!!) Gotta love it though.